Video: What is a Cookies Policy
If you've ever wondered how websites remember your login details, or how items in your online shopping cart stay there while you shop, it's not magic. It's actually all because of tiny strands of data called cookies.
Today we'll cover what a Cookies Policy is, how you can create a Cookies Policy for your website, and how you as a website owner can block third-party scripts from placing cookies on your user's devices.
So if you're interested in learning more, then stay tuned.
Hey everyone, it's Heleana here, and welcome to Privacy Policies, the place where you can generate custom-made Privacy Policies in seconds to help keep your business safe.
So let's get right into it.
What are cookies?
Cookies, in their simplest form, are little clusters of data. A web server passes these data clusters through to your computer after you've landed on a website. Your computer then stores the data as files inside your browser cache. This helps identify browsing trends and patterns.
- Help businesses show customers relevant ads
- Let websites remember someone's unique preferences, which improves the visitor experience
- Help identify a user
Cookies are a powerful marketing and commercial tool, and businesses rely on them.
There are many types of cookies, including cookies that:
- Save your password(s) so you don't need to remember them whenever you visit websites
- Remember what sites you've visited in the past so you can view your browser history
- Keep track of your shopping cart as you browse an online store
- Show you targeted ads based on your browsing behavior
- Verify user login details
What is a Cookies Policy?
A Cookies Policy is a disclosure by a website of:
- What cookies are used by the company
- How those cookies are used to collect the private information of visitors
- How the user can control the disclosure of information and use of the cookies for collection
- A Cookies Policy allows the company to have full disclosure with its users and creates a transparency of the collection of private information
What are the laws regarding Cookies Policies?
The principles here are, thankfully, quite straightforward. Thanks to international privacy laws including the EU's General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) and the ePrivacy Directive, websites must do two things before they can install cookies in your browser or device:
- Tell you about the cookies they use
- Get your consent to using these cookies
What should my Cookies Policy or cookies clause include?
In short, it tells visitors everything they need to know about cookies and what the website does with them.
- That cookies are used
- What data is collected by them
- What happens to the data, and if it's shared with anyone
- How users can change cookie settings or revoke consent
You can also use our free tool Cookie Consent to block third-party scripts from placing cookies on user devices.
And that's it for now. We hope that you found this video on Cookie Policies helpful and informative.
If you have any more questions related to the topic that we didn't happen to touch on, please leave them in the comments below and we'll get back to you as soon as we can.
Thanks for watching, don't forget to subscribe so you can stay up to date with all our latest videos, and we will see you in our next video.